Grays Harbor Historical Seaport Authority seeks a unique individual for the position of Development Officer. This person must be a self-motivated team player with leadership abilities and an entrepreneurial spirit. The successful applicant will have tremendous attention to detail, excel in being creative, dependable, flexible and resourceful. Applicant must have a record of development experience, outstanding management skills, and a demonstrated capacity to motivate supporters, staff, and volunteers. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential for this position.
The Development Officer will help lay a strong foundation for the continued growth of Historical Seaport programs and facilities into the future. Working as part of the Historical Seaport’s management team the Development Officer will be responsible for planning, implementing and managing a coordinated program of fundraising and donor cultivation. Primary responsibilities include developing strategic and long range development plans; leading a new program sponsorship campaign, participating in an upcoming capital campaign and major gifts program; defining appropriate procedures to engage the full organization in effective fundraising and development efforts; and overseeing the building and maintenance of relationships with individual, corporate and foundation funders.
Planning / Strategy (20%)
- Plan and manage fundraising/development activities to set and achieve annual goals for contributed income. Work with the Seaport management team, shipboard and homeport staff and Board Members to develop an annual development plan that will support the Historical Seaport’s long-range strategic plans.
- Work closely with shipboard and administrative staff to oversee the set-up and full utilization of an efficient donor database and gift tracking record system that will support grant compliance and donor-specific financial reporting.
- Work closely with the Historical Seaport management team to ensure marketing and PR efforts are aligned with fundraising and development efforts.
- Work closely with the Executive Director, Staff and Committees to ensure a fully integrated development effort and coordinated communication with funders.
- Prepare and present regular reports to Staff, Board, and Committees.
- Develop and manage volunteers to help support fundraising/development efforts.
- Work closely with and support efforts to grow and steward members.
- Become knowledgeable about the Historical Seaport’s mission, values, programs and strategy in order to identify and develop funding opportunities which capitalize on unique resources or exceptional opportunities.
Overall Fund Development (70%)
- Develop and implement solicitation goals and strategies for major gifts, sponsorships, and upper level membership. Provide leadership and coordination to Board members, committees, staff and volunteers to meet these goals.
- Work to build and deepen relationships with Board Members, current and prospective donors and volunteers, and actively steward such relationships.
- Plan and manage fundraising efforts including sponsorships for shipboard education programs.
- Assist with planning and successful implementation of a major upcoming capital campaign.
- In cooperation with Executive Director, steward relationships with foundations and other grantors. Help strategize and develop grant proposals.
Membership / Annual Appeals (5%)
- Provide support and backup as needed to oversee stewardship and growth of Historical Seaport general membership.
- BA in fund development, marketing/communications, or related field, or equivalent related work experience required; experience in heritage, vocational or experiential education, or marine sciences a plus.
- 2-3 years experience in development and communications required, preferably in a dynamic, fast paced environment where flexibility was key to success
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills reflecting solid customer service in person, via the telephone and via email.
- Motivated with demonstrated ability to engage and train other staff, board members and volunteers.
- Demonstrate experience working both independently, exercising good judgment, decision making and problem solving; and as part of a proactive team in a dynamic environment working on multiple projects while maintaining headway on accomplishing key strategic elements.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook programs required; experience working with donor management software highly desirable; experience working with publishing programs and social media a plus.
- Full-time position. Schedule will be flexible, with the opportunity for some travel.
- A competitive salary and benefits package.
- A flexible but focused work environment in an atmosphere that is casual yet professional.
- Dedicated, innovative co-workers who take their work seriously but enjoy a good laugh.
- Supportive environment in the office and aboard our two tall ships.
E-mail cover letter with resume and references (at least two professional references in the area of fundraising from the last three years) to Les@historicalseaport.org Subject: Development Officer.